The lecture notes are here.
When you think of a Chimney Sweep, this image may come to mind.
But this image is probably a lot closer to young Master Armory.
This diagram shows the different ways a sweep can get stuck in a flue.
Frequently the boys would get stuck (the image on the right).
Here are some examples of de Lamerie’s work (courtesy of the Dukeminier property web site).
Here are a number of stories about finding abandoned stuff:
- New York Times article on a jobless man’s find of early Anglo-Saxon treasure in Staffordshire, England, September 2009
- Article on on-going dispute over ownership of Titanic artifacts, Mar. 2009
- NPR story St. Louis’s byzantine process for dealing with lost property, Mar. 2009
- Divers discover thousands of pearls while searching Santa Maria, June 2007
- Odyssey Marine Exploration fights with Spanish government over $500 million in coins recovered from sunken ship, May 2007
- New Yorker article on Odyssey Marine Exploration, April 2008
- Sub Sea Research battles Spain & France over $3 billion of treasure, January 2003
- New York Times article on people who live by finding things in the garbage
- Discovering a ring that was lost 60 years ago
This is a lithograph of Gwernaylod House in Overton-on-Dee, Wales (1829)
Here is a trailer for a fascinating documentary about the legal fight between two men who claim to have caught Barry Bonds’s record-breaking 73 homerun in 2004.
And here is the moment it hits the crowd.