“I do believe in freedom of speech, but I believe strongly in our religion.”

December 10th, 2011

A writer at the ultra-conservative Jewish Stern School for woman wrote a story about pre-marital sex on the school’s newspaper. This has created a stink. Here’s how the TImes describes it.

It all started with a provocative, anonymous essay about premarital sex published by an online student newspaper on Monday, the kind of first-person tell-all that would probably pass without much mention at the average secular university.

A young woman narrates how she goes to a hotel, peels off her conservative clothes, slips on lace and sprays her “newly liberated skin with a noticeable amount of floral perfume.” Her lover comes to the room; they have a tryst. The next morning, she regrets what she has done.

One student at the school is a fan of free speech and religion (but totally confused as to how they’re related)!

“We believe, in our religion, that we should wait until marriage,” said Goldie Elkaim, 20, a biology major, who disagreed with the essay. “If those things are done, they should be done in a private manner and not shown to the world. I do believe in freedom of speech, but I believe strongly in our religion.”

It’s ok, she is going to be a Dr., not a lawyer. I’m sure her mother is proud.

M sent me a copy of it yesterday, so I’m not surprised to see it featured in the Times.