I don’t sleep much, don’t watch tv, or other things on this list. That must be why I have so little foregone market work time.
Here’s a breakdown of where the foregone work hours are being allocated:
- 20% to sleeping.
- 15% to “other leisure,” including listening to music and being on the computer, exercising and recreation, and hobbies such as arts, collecting, writing.
- 13% to core home production activities (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.)
- 12% to watching TV.
- 12% to time investments in own health care, own education, and civic activities.
- 8% to increased shopping.
- 7% to home maintenance and repair.
- 6% to child care.
- 4% to the care of other older adults.
- 1% of the foregone market work hours are allocated to job search.