Class 27 – 4/20/17
The First Amendment – Free Exercise
- Madison’s Memorial and Remonstrance against Religious Assessments
- Sherbert v. Verner (1434 – 1435)
- Employment Division v. Smith (1435 – 1439)
- Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah (1439 – 1444)
- Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores (Supplement 220 – 236)
- No Establishment of Religion (1461 – 1463)
- Van Orden v. Perry (1501 – 1507)
The lecture notes are here.
Employment Division v. Smith
During a recent trip to Salem, Oregon, I stopped at the Oregon Division of Employment, which (at some point) was renamed the Oregon Employment Department. Of course, this was the origin of Employment Division v. Smith. I asked the receptionist if she was familiar with the case–she gave me the oddest glare. In any event, I took pictures.
Church of the Lukumi Babalu Aye
Van Orden v. Perry